Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Update On Makenna

Thank you to all who prayed for Makenna's dental appointment today. Praise the Lord she did unbelievably well! It was only an exam, but new places and new people make her uneasy. She was very nervous when we arrived, but by the time the doctor came to check on her she was calmed down and even cooperative! I'm sure the trip we had planned to Chuck E. Cheese that was conditional on her behaviour had nothing to do with it!

To explain a little, when she was 3 we took her to the dentist for her first cleaning. The regular gal that usually cleaned my teeth (who Makenna knew) wasn't in -- had I know that, I would have reschedule. She wasn't too thrilled about the new girl. Unfortunately, the new girl wasn't too kid-friendly. After a lengthy struggle to get Makenna to lie down and cooperate, the hygentist basically put her in a headlock to get her to stay still -- one of the few regrets I have as a mom, trusting professionals know what they are doing. (sigh) Needless to say, she hasn't taken well to any doctor or dentist for a long time. Fortunately, we now see a friend of ours & his wife for our dental needs! Unfortunately, Makenna has to have some extensive dental work done after school is out (July 26 unless an earlier opening becomes available), and it is out of our regular dentist's capabilities. We do covet your prayers, and I will fill you in as I can regarding this situation.

I also had this thought today . . . Makenna had surgery to have a cyst removed from her arm also when she was 3 years old. She did wonderfully except for the usual not wanting the IV and blood pressure cuff on in recovery. But I'm wondering if both those experiences have contributed to her fears??

With the Lord's help, we are working through it. You can specifically pray that this situation she has to go through will not cause her any further trauma. We don't take your prayers lightly and thank you for praying for our family.

No comments: