Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What's New

Welcome to our little part of the world . . . The Great Thaw of 2009 that is our yard! While I am VERY thankful for the non-freezing temps, I am so much more thankful that our driveway is melting!! We had 2-3 inches of solid ice across our whole driveway which made getting wood and going to the vehicles almost impossible. This has been the scene for the last few days -- some foggier than others. Last night when I went out to teach piano lessons, I could only see a car length in front of me or less at times! All I could see of Makenna's bus from the house this morning was a lone blinking red light.


Our biggest family news is regarding Isaiah. He has "grown up" so much in the last couple weeks. He has really started trying to talk . . . baba (bottle), some strange gurgle in his throat for "stinky", and words only Momma can understand . . . bubbles, bath, more, juice, banana, etc.
He loves to feed himself. (An answer to prayer for me! I don't wish my kids' lives away, but I am always anxious and excited for them to learn to be independent of Momma.) Meal times are so much easier and enjoyable since I can give him his food and then eat mine!

He is so proud to have milk in his cereal like the big kids!
I think he needs some improvement on technique, but he gets it in there.
Last night we had broccoli & cheese with dinner. Broccoli isn't one of his favorites (come to think of it I don't know any veggie that he'll eat), but I at least attempt to give him veggies at dinner time. You would have thought I gave him candy! He scarfed it down and kept asking for more -- he thought the green swirl prints on this plate were broccoli and tried to eat them off too!
I know he looks like a baby with this bottle, but our silly or stubborn boy won't drink milk from a cup! We've talked with the pediatrican and decided to keep giving him milk in the bottle until he's two since he isn't attached to it and he needs the nutritional value. He takes a bottle at "quiet time" -- watching a TV show in the morning, reading books or playing in his bed in the afternoon . . . I'm going to miss seeing him lying there so sweetly enjoying his milk. (Since he's my last, I'm starting to realize these little things won't last forever, and I'm trying to capture them on camera bacause my memory is so awful.)
Just so you all know he does have a few non-girl toys . . . Daddy teases him for walking around burping a baby and for watching Dora . . . Isaiah received this remote-controlled Pluto for Christmas and he gets a kick out of playing with it. It always makes him laugh. (PS: A lady in our church just asked me on Sunday if we could use some boy toys!! Could we ever!! I'm excited to get them and fill his toy box with something besides stuffed animals and Little People. Thank the Lord!)

Can't leave out the girls! They were sitting on the couch Saturday watching TV, and Isaiah had to crawl up there and sit with them -- it was adorable. After many attempts, I could not get them all to look at me and smile. Oh well.

It's times like these that make me smile with joy over the blessing that my children are to me. On the otherhand, it also makes me think, "I have 3 children!?!" Maybe it's a weird quirk of mine or the fact that they are usually running around in different directions and they aren't always together, but I don't always realize I have 3 kids of my own. I guess I still feel younger than I am and need a dose of reality from time to time.

No comments: