We slept in (a must on a day off), ate breakfast, watched a cartoon, played together, read books . . .
. . . Makenna had a photoshoot with Madi as a subject (not sure Madi was as thrilled as Makenna) . . .
. . . played with the new "Shake 'n Go" cars Papaw bought them for Valentine's Day . . .
. . . turned on some Southern Gospel quartet music and danced with stuffed animals (ironically from Papaw) in the living room . . .
(Side Note: At this point my nerves were only slightly on edge. I'm not used to having all three of the kids home. Normally about late afternoon, my day intensifies with kids wanting snacks while I'm trying to make dinner, keeping Makenna on top of her homework, keeping the other kids out of the way and busy -- you get the idea.)
Unfortunately, I received a call that Rick's great-aunt Margie (who has become like a grandma to me) isn't doing very well and that her cancer is spreading quickly. Thankfully, the family has received some assurance that she is saved.
We were supposed to head to town, meet Rick and eat dinner at Olive Garden. But for numerous reasons, we didn't. So, off to the kitchen I go to find something for dinner. I remembered I took some meat out of the freezer to thaw and decided to use that for dinner. As I reached in the frig to take it out, I accidently knocked down an opened pudding one of my children put in there . . .
(in case you can't see -- it's everywhere! on the floor, on the wall up past the border, on me, on the underside of the shelves and any where else you can think of)
And while I'm standing there trying to keep Isaiah out of the kitchen and thinking of how I'm going to clean this up . . . Makenna yells from the kitchen "Mom, there are horses in our front yard!"
What?!?
Sure enough . . . as big as life, here they come up the driveway! What do you do with horses? Do I let them do whatever it is that they do when they wander around the neighborhood? Do I go shoo them away? Um, no! I'm honestly terrified that I'd be stomped to death in front of my kids -- not a pretty picture. I start thinking of how I can get my neighbor's number to let them know where there horses are. I tried calling a neighbor who goes to our church to get the number, but it went right to voice mail.
They made themselves at home.
To prove I have reason to be scared . . . the vehicle that they are dwarfing is 6 1/2 feet tall!!
They toured the back yard, ran around the swingset and through the woods. The neighbor did eventually find them, and I did go out and help corral them. In all my horse training (insert much laughter), I thought I could at least fill the gap, so they wouldn't head into the back yard. Picture Anne of Green Gables and the cow round-up. Now picture me slowly moving out of the way as a horse heads in my direction. HA!
Well, that's over . . . what's next? And it's not even dinnertime yet . . . some days you just need to do what's possible and let God perform the miracle!
1 comment:
I've had those days, but never with horses in my front yard! Just keep focusing on the good days, and the bad days won't seem so bad--or so I"m told anyway. :)
Post a Comment