Monday, September 19, 2011

The Sleep-Deprived Indian

Our summer went by quickly.  I swore (well, not literally!) that after a VERY busy summer three years ago we wouldn't overbook ourselves like that ever again! Summers since haven't quite been that busy, but they have been busy.  Jumping right into homeschooling was not a big help.

Sleep deprivation has been a big issue for me this summer and on into the school year.  I'm learning to deal with it (since I don't have many opportunities to catch up on sleep), and thankfully the Lord has helped my to deal with my chidren in a normal way instead of the way I would normally act while sleep deprived.

Last week, Isaiah was working on a school paper.  The teacher told him to color the capital I and little i green, then to color the feathers his favorite color.  The indian's hair was to be brown as well as the face.  I thought that might look a little strange as he has a heavy hand to his coloring.  So I told him we would change things up a little and use yellow for the face (hey, we're limited to like six colors here).  I asked him what color we should color the tongue.  He replied, "Red."  I expected him to put the red crayon down after he colored the tongue and pick up his brown crayon to finish the hair.  But when I looked back down at his paper he was coloring the eyes red!  I stopped him thinking I would take this time to "educate" him on the parts of the eye.  I said, "Now wait, Isaiah.  Lets talk about eyes for a minute.  There is a colored part -- you and Mommy have blue, Daddy and the girls have brown.  But the rest of the eye is mostly white.  See?", as I pointed to my eye.  His reply. "No, its not.  It's red!"

I didn't even bother trying to explain to him why my eyes are red.  I just had to laugh and then take a picture of his drawing to remember this too cute moment with my son.

No comments: