Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Favorite Holiday

This may seem strange that I am bringing this up in the middle of April, but Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday. (Christmas is a close second because I love all the festivities.) But Thanksgiving is synonymous with Family in my mind.

Growing up, we used to spend Thanksgiving with my grandmother because she was out of town for Christmas visiting my papaw's family. I loved spending time with my grandmother. She worked a lot of overtime at the Chevy plant, so I cherished the times we did spend together. Now that I think of it, I can't think of anything negative about my grandmother. Every memory I have of her is pleasant . . . the hot dog sandwiches with chili and mustard, the trip to May Company (like a Dillards or Kaufmanns for those of you who didn't live in the 70s & 80s) for an Easter dress complete with shoes and purse, her employing my siblings and I for special cleaning projects that included paying us for our lunch break and sometimes buying our lunch, her Christmas gift to us each year of money for clothes since that was something we didn't have much money for (even though my little brother asked my mom to tell grandma that kids like toys) and her teaching me to "use the system" to get the most for your money -- sales and coupons -- did I tell you about the time I bought cereal on sale for $.99 and had a $1 coupon??

It was really hard for me when she died. She had surgery for cancer on my birthday, and it was only 6 months later that she died. Her funeral was the same day as my high school graduation, and I was away at college for my first Thanksgiving without her and my family. (Thanks Dad for coming to see me!) Maybe that is what solidified my love for Thanksgiving -- the memories of her.

My point in all of this is that there is so much to be thankful for all year round that we don't need to have a holiday to show thanks. I think blogging has opened my mind to what so many other people face day to day -- the heartache, sorrow and trials. I am blessed with a wonderful husband, three beautiful, healthy children, a close-knit, supportive family, an awesome church, a beautiful home, a newer vehicle (with 4WD - PTL!) and the list could go on and on. Years ago, I was impressed to thank the Lord daily for the breath and life He gave me. It may seem like something simple that we take for granted, but there are people that struggle to breath and get around every day.

There are people in my church with crippling health problems, friends with sickly chidren and friends that have lost children, bloggers with ailing children and spouses, and friends with financial difficulties. I often wonder if I have enough faith and strength to go through those kind of trials. It may not be right, but I often pray that the Lord never ask me to deal with a trial of that magnitude. I also pray for the Lord's return. Hearing of all these situations has caused me to pray more, and I praise the Lord I have the opportunity to pray for others -- strangers or friends.

Let me challenge you (all 5 of you that read my blog -- HA!), to find something every day to thank the Lord for in your life. It can be encouraging to focus on something other than the world or politics or your problems. I am more thankful for my children -- for the fact that I could conceive them albeit with medical assistance, that they are healthy, that they have so much -- because I have read and know of people that can't have children of their own, that have children with terminal illnesses, that are struggling to make their mortgage and put food on the table. Life, even as good as what I've been blessed with, can get you down. Use those down times to remind you of what you do have to be thankful for . . . when Rick works overtime and I have many nights with just me & the kids, I thank the Lord I do have a husband and pray for single moms that have to work and take care of the kids on her own. When your child gets the flu, praise Him that the flu is all that is wrong with them, and pray for those families you know with health problems. Did I mention that we did not get the flu this year?? WOOHOO and Praise the Lord!!! After having it at least 4 times last year, that is more wonderful that I can express!

Well, I think that was it. I was just sitting in my "red" chair (love ya, girl) and praising the Lord for friends of ours that just had a little girl after doctors told them they probably wouldn't have any children. But I bet both mom, dad and big brother would disagree, and they give God all the glory!

No comments: