Friday, March 27, 2009

Our Trip To The ER

It all started Tuesday morning about 9:00 when I received a call from Makenna's school that she was not feeling well, that she had collapsed, had convultions and that I needed to come get her. I was a little concerned because I usually get a call that she fell in the parking lot playing at recess and passed out from seeing the blood. But they didn't describe it that way.

To fill you all in if you don't already know, Makenna has a "genetic disorder" (as do my dad, brother and myself) that causes us to pass out in situations involving blood, needles and other various traumatic instances. For us, it is perfectly normal, but it can be a huge scare for those that aren't familiar with it. The school is aware of this situation and has helped her through these episodes numerous times.

After I finished talking with the school secretary, the mom in me kicked in . . . I started packing up food, clothes, diapers and everything I could think of that my kids might need in case we had to be gone from home for a while. All the while, making phone calls . . . Nana & Pappy only live 20 minutes from school . . . We live 40 minutes away . . . Pappy to the rescue (again) was on his way to pick her up . . . Rick had a dentist appt before going to work (amazing how the Lord had that worked out), so I was able to get a hold of him and he was in route to Nana & Pappy's house . . .

I finally had the younger two together, threw on a ball cap (since a shower wasn't an option at that point -- I really should learn from this, no matter how badly I want to work on a project while the other kids are still sleeping -- shower first!) and we were out the door. More phone calls to the pediatrician . . . the insurance company . . . to Gramma who alerted the family prayer chain =) . . . back and forth between Daddy and Nana for a plan of action . . . what would we do without cell phones? Of course, Madi had to go potty while we were on the road (a road I might add with no bathroom options)! Fortunately, she held it until we got to our destination.

After we all met at Nana & Pappy's house, we learned that she had pulled a hangnail, and it bled which caused her to pass out. This may seem trivial, but because she is young it's all the same to her when she sees blood even thought it's not severe. When she passed out at 3 years old after watching her new baby sister have bloodwork done for a jaundice test, I knew she had been "blessed". Until this school year, she didn't understand what had happened when she passed out. I am thankful that she knows now because we are teaching her how to handle these situations. It will still take time. My biggest fear is her getting injured even more when she passes out if she falls into something.

We came to the tough decision to take her to the ER. Our concern was the convultions. I didn't recall her doing that any other time. Plus we were not sure if she hit her head or not when she fell out of her chair. Obviously, they would run test that wouldn't be "fun", but we had hoped to get answers and maybe some help if there is a medication available to keep this from happening.

Makenna doesn't care for doctor's offices (which I believe stems from the headlock a dental hygentist put her in when she was 3 -- one of my big regrets of parenting but that's another story!) We had taken two cars since Daddy would probably go to work afterwards. I didn't want to scare Makenna, but I wanted to encourage her to cooperate and be brave. I think I even said nothing they would do would hurt (boy was I wrong)! I guess I had only planned on a brain scan and possible monitoring for the possible seisure. By the time we arrived, she was already saying she was nervous and Daddy had to carry her in.

I forewarned the nurse (actually an EMT that was working the ER) that she may not cooperate since she doesn't like Dr offices, but I don't think he anticipated what was to come. Picture her hiding from him behind me as I almost drag her down the hall to the exam room . . . we're off to a great start! A nurse came into the room. The EMT started with vitals and the nurse started asking the typical questions about the incident and her general health. The nurse didn't get the problem even though I tried to nicely explain and use code words to avoid upsetting Makenna. She asked things like, "Is Makenna up-to-date on her shots?" as Makenna starts to yell, "I don't want a shot!" and squirms in my lap. You meant to say immunizations, right? (You know the things you want to say and don't.)

Makenna stayed close to me on my lap and didn't relax very much even though we had turned on the morning cartoons. The nursed asked if we could get a blood sugar -- uh, sure, why not -- my kid is only bothered by blood and needles. This should go over well!

At this point, I've lost a few details, but I don't believe we explained what was going to happen because she would only get worked up even more. The nurse came back in with her "equipment". I was already holding Makenna. I was hoping between the EMT, the nurse and Daddy we could handle this. Let's just say it was a struggle, and it took most of us to get one finger still enough to get a reading. I held the gause on her finger tip and consolingly told Makenna that maybe they would get her a bandaid (hint, hint ER staff). At this point, she hadn't seen any blood, and she had eaten half of a cinnamon roll at N&P house before we left. So I wasn't too worried about her passing out again, but I was going to take preventative measures. Thankfully a bandaid arrived. I had her lay down and talk to Daddy while I took off the gause and put on the bandaid. Because I didn't see where they pricked her finger, I didn't cover the point of insertion and a drop of blood started forming. Makenna saw it and started screaming, "I"m bleeding!" Only a slight set back, I rewrapped the finger, and she was okay laying on the bed with a wet towel on her head. We had also requested a drink of water (which never came, ever even after Daddy and I asked a couple times).

The ER doc came in and talked with us. Asking more questions as we explained this condition that has plagued her since she was 3. We voiced our concerns about the convultions and let him know we were also seeking help for managing this in the future. He listed to her lungs, looked in her ears, etc. He was really good for her and got her to open up a little -- he asked if she was that shy to everyone or was he special -- we told him he wasn't special =D He ordered a blood work up and a CAT scan. I asked if there would be a problem if she didn't lay still. He didn't seem to be concerned. We understood why he ordered the tests and started brainstorming on how we were going to handle this.

Daddy started to explain to Makenna that she wasn't going to like what was going to happen next . . . that they were going to take her blood. She started thrashing around and saying she didn't want them to take her blood. About that time, the nurse and EMT came in with another nurse for additional reinforcement. From the exerience they gain with the blood sugar, they came armed with a papose and a sheet. The plan was to wrap her up so she would be still while they did the bloodwork. They wrapped the arm they weren't going to use close to her body (the papose didn't end up being big enough to wrap around her. I layed over her legs and helped hold her arm down. I remember telling Daddy he was in charge of making sure she didn't look -- a big key in this process.

The ER staff started taking about the plan of action. The not-so-helpful nurse said "It will be okay -- John will explain everything as he is doing it." I think Daddy & I both almost screamed "NO" in unison -- she wasn't the brightest bulb. They were going to put in a line instead of just drawing blood. Instantly, I'm thinking "I can't handle an IV very well, how is she going to handle this!" But it was one thing at at time. She was very upset even when they just cleaned her arm. She was crying she wanted to go home. I can't imagine how scared she was seeing as she was wrapped up tight and sat on with one arm doomed to pain while five people were within a couple feet of her. We tried to assure her that it would all be okay in a minute. I asked her if she think she deserved a little prize or a big prize for making through this -- of course she said a big prize.

The EMT did warn her about the prick and she did scream. Dad tried to get her to be quite, but I told her it was okay . . . she had to have some outlet. The EMT did a great job, and she was fine after the prick. We just kept talking to her and told her they were just taping it up. That was probably the longest 5 minutes of her life. Fortunately, she didn't know what was really going on and she was calm. I told them they were going to have to cover the line, so she couldn't see it.

Pictured is Makenna and her bandage -- happy the worst was over. I apologize for the quality, but I only have cell phone pics.


I'm thankful there was a TV in her room to help distract her.




Someone came to take Makenna & I to radiology. She was happy that she got to ride in a wheelchair. I can say the CAT scan was less dramatic, but it still took some talking to get her to agree to it. She doesn't like to lay flat at a doctor's office (again I attribute that to the dental hygentist), so getting her to lay down on a moving table in this huge white room with all this scary looking equipment was quite a task. After some fast talking, the tech allowed me to stay in the room with her (with the lead apron) and hold her hand. We prayed and she calmed down. It was painless and fast just as I had told her -- suprised she listened to me after the promise of no pain on the way to the ER!

Makenna & Daddy even had a litte fun while waiting for the test results.



The ER doc returned. The bloodwork all came back okay. He also had a pediatric neurologist review the CAT scan as an extra precaution. Everything was good. She did have a post-sycope seisure (post-fainting), but that it was normal when the brain is deprived of blood flow. She was just out a little longer this time. There is nothing we can do about the passing out other than teach her how to handle it when she starts noticing there is a problem.

We were given discharge instructions . . . someone came to take our co-pay (seriously, they hunt you down in the exam room and don't send you a bill anymore??) . . . a nurse came to take out the line (Makenna just buried her head behind Dad which was great so she didn't see what was under the bandage -- she was so proud that she had a taped peice of gause just like Gramma had the last time she visited us) . . . and we were free to go!

Makenna had started to put her shoes on after the Dr left because she knew we were close to leaving. On the way out, I asked if she could have a ginger ale, and she also got a "boo-boo dog" from the nurse at the desk. She also had the souvenier of the band they used before taking her blood. Don't know why but she wanted it and the Dr said that it was hers when she asked to keep it.



After Makenna & I left, we headed to Wal-Mart in search of her BIG prize for making through her big adventure. LPS (Littlest Pet Shop) toys are at the top of he list right now. We looked around but have seen most everything they have there. I remembered we were by Toys 'R Us and suggested we go look there since they had more variety. Makenna picked out a big one (fortunately she settled on the cheapest of the big ones). We stopped at DQ on our way back to Nana & Pappy's house and picked up a rootbeer float which is one of her favorites. She was so proud to share her story with everyone. Only Mama had to tell the scary parts!


2 comments:

Becky said...

Yikes! What an adventure for you all. I am glad to her that the seizure was a normal reaction and not something more to deal with.

I really appreciate health care professionals and the work they do, but sometimes you wonder what they are thinking! You have to treat kids differently than adults...it is scary for them!

I am sure you all breathed a huge sigh of relief when it was all over!

Grape News said...

OMG! What an experience! K was in the hospital at 3 months and it was very hard to see her get stuck time and again. And (even tho I'm from the health profession) those "professionals" can be duds (for lack of a better word). She pick out a good prize tho!